16 October 2015

Fall: The Garden's Last Hurrah

I've always felt that the garden is a labor of love.  In the Fall, however, I feel a love/hate relationship as I pull the annuals, cut back some of the perennials, rake up the debris, and bring the garden to a place of winter rest.  Brings a lot of mixed emotions.  May I explain...

Love:

1.  the silence of the season.  As I go about the task of "breaking down" the garden for its winter slumber, there is a calm, a quietness.  reflective moments.

the leaves of the Geum "Tangerine Dream"  ... still so vibrant and full

2.  the hope of Spring.  Closing the garden brings an inherent promise that life will reappear, there will, once again, be a vibrancy of color, growth, change.  renewal.

the nasturtiums, so pretty in flower and foliage


3.  the chance to redesign, rethink.  Mistakes made, Mother Nature's challenges, new research of flower varieties, shrubs and bushes.  opportunity to revitalize, enhance.

Heuchera - endless combinations of variegated foliage; indispensable in the shade garden
4.  the beauty of winter in the garden.  The snow white against the winterberry red.  The stems of the red twig dogwood.  The birds /chattering/flittering about at the feeders.  redefined life.

Winterberry - a seasonal gift to the garden


Hate:

1.  the bleakness.  The extended winter season makes me yearn for color, activity, life.  interruption of life.

Parsley - taking on the role of ground cover in my garden

2.  the stagnancy.  I like change; the growing garden offers a constant opportunity for transformation, revision.  dormant surroundings.

Graceful Grace Weeping Douglas Fir ... pretty cones and great form

3.  the absence of convenience, wholesome.  I always so miss the sheer delight of going to the garden to choose my salad greens and herbs, knowing where they came from and what went into the soil they grew in.  lack of freshness.

Variegated sage, both attractive and tasty!

4.  the wistfulness.  As I age, the work becomes more difficult, harder on the joints.  It saddens me to think that there will come a day when I no longer can physically garden as I do now, knowing that the desire will always be in my heart and in my soul.  the downsides of aging


And yet, the realization that all facets of life brings its ups and downs, I fully take on the responsibility to see the closing of the garden as an opportunity  ...  to rest the weary bones, plan for the next growing season, and work on projects inside that have been screaming for attention!

If you have a chance, visit my Facebook page to see the garden as I've chronicled it through the seasons.  Also, "like" the page, and click "get notifications", for daily ideas and inspiration throughout the year.  My Pinterest boards may also interest you, if you're a fan of great vintage home and garden images to entice your spirit and creative mind!

So, I leave you now - we've got the first frost coming this weekend, and I have a lot to do.

I bet you do, too - right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

So glad you dropped by ... please leave a comment and share your thoughts with me ...