10 April 2015

Rit Dye as a Wood Stain - Who Knew?


Have I mentioned I'm a lifelong learner?  You CAN teach an old gal new tricks!

I was spending more than my shoulda-been-doing-something-else share of time on Pinterest earlier tonight and happened upon a rustic shelf that had been crafted from an "acquired" Home Depot pallet.  What most caught my attention was the use of Rit dye to stain the wood.  I hadn't seen that done before, but it made total sense ...  and think of the range of colors that can be achieved!  I also love the fact that it allows the wood grain to show through ...




Now intrigued, I explored a bit further.  Becky, from Beyond The Picket Fence, uses an interesting technique that also maintains the look of the wood grain.  She uses a combination of paint and Minwax Wood Stain (with sanding in between coats) to achieve this look on some of her wood pieces:   (love this!)


Another great post on Becky's blog shows a range of projects she has created using her technique - here's a sample and the link to the post:


http://bit.ly/1GUmFDv

I also found a short blurb in Apartment Therapy on making a wood stain from regular paint, enabling the added bonus of matching a particular desired color.


On the Rit Dye consumer page, there is a gallery of projects, and further exploration on the site will give you formulas for colors and lots of tips and how-tos.  A purple chair, perhaps??


Hope this has given you something new to consider for future projects - it's got me thinking!

Thanks for stopping by - do leave a comment below and let me know what you think.


Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Love the look of this! Can't wait to give it a try... Maybe on some old pallets, hmm the possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you give it a whirl. To me, it's refreshing, different. I love my shabby whites, but think there's definitely a place for this for me.

      Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  2. Rit dye to stained the wood, pretty interesting! The sort of color tone wishing to achieve is seen largely pursued. Combination of paint and wood stain brings beautiful color, is proven herein. Shown all projects have something in unique and that’s we are sure is the result of great blending of such stuffs (and craftsmanship, indeed)

    ReplyDelete

So glad you dropped by ... please leave a comment and share your thoughts with me ...