04 January 2014

Winter's Calling ... but thinking about Spring

The older I get, the less I like the gray, cold seemingly endless days of winter.  I'm an energetic gal, but winter seems to steal a bit of that get-up-and-go vibe from me.  That being said, it's the perfect season for dreaming, planning, and scheming.  And that's exactly what I did today.

Sometime over the next few months I will move back into my little cape style house about 2 or 3 miles from where I am living now.  While the thought of moving A.G.A.I.N. sends shivers up my spine, I am looking forward to the change, and the opportunity to re-create my life, one more time.  (but that's a whole other story ... )

My home and garden style has changed considerably since I lived there some six years ago. Definitely more eclectic.  I take more risks and am not afraid to to experiment to create a "look" I'm attempting to achieve.

The house has a relatively small grassed area on the opposite side of the garage, away from the house.  To say it has been neglected in the past would be putting it mildly.  My inclination this time around is to create a garden there with some sort of privacy screen and fencing.  A relaxing garden, with plantings, seating, and architectural garden junk style features for interest.

Among my prized possessions are a pair of mahogany Westport Adirondack chairs that I received as a gift last Christmas.  I've always loved the lines of these chairs, the one piece back and slanted seat, as shown here:

Westport Adirondack Chairs
Mine are beginning to mellow just wonderfully, and will be my starting point for designing the space.  From there I've headed to Pinterest (pinning to a new board:  Looking Ahead to the Next Nest) and Houzz (adding to an Ideabook:  Patio Ideas) to inspire and delight me!

A few considerations that you might like, too:

Lemongrass in tall pots - besides looking good, supposed to keep mosquitoes away. Love the pots!
Old screen door used for trellising a vine - I have some old windows I can put chicken wire in.  Hmmm...but what to attach them to or suspend them from ???  The door is free standing.  Gotta think about this one ...
I love the idea of a big "coffee" table - for al fresco dining, a pile of magazines, and yes! a pitcher of Sangria, perhaps.  Pallets are easy to come by around here - will need to source out some heavy duty casters for move-ability.
I will be making some of these - love them!


Concrete Garden Globes

another possible use for my old windows - attach to the side of the garage.
And, maybe a little reading nook in one of the corners - good vertical interest, too.


More to come in future posts.   Dreaming the winter away...hope you're finding a way to beat the doldrums as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

So glad you dropped by ... please leave a comment and share your thoughts with me ...