02 September 2012

Roasted Eggplant and Bean Dip with Fresh Herbs


It's hard to beat going into the garden, picking a few key ingredients, and quickly putting together a dish that's simple, tasty, and FRESH!  I've got a winner to share with you today.

The eggplant was ready for pickin', and the herbs are still abundant in my garden.
  I've made this recipe before ...  it's pretty much my own concoction, but I'm sure there are others on the web that are similar.  I use whatever herbs look fresh and that I have enough of.  The dip makes a great appetizer or snack, and I love it for lunch, too.  Here goes:  a few pics first, to whet your appetite a tad.....



 Roasted Eggplant and Bean Dip with Fresh Herbs

1 -2 eggplants, unpeeled (unless the skin is really tough), sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
2 cloves of roasted garlic
1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
olive oil for drizzling  and a few tablespoons to add to the mix
3 T. fresh squeezed lemon juice
sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
fresh garden herbs, about 1/3 cup (a mix of your favorites!)
slices of fresh cucumber and / or slices of toasted baguette

1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

2. Place the slices of eggplant on a parchment-paper lined baking pan.  Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.  Roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes until softened and golden brown.  Set aside to cool.

3. In the bowl of a food processor, put the beans, eggplant, garlic, 1-2 T. olive oil, lemon juice, 1/2 t. salt, 1/8 t. pepper, and herbs. Pulse till coarsely chopped. (For this batch, I used chives, basil, parsley and garlic chives.)

(Add a few splashes of hot sauce, if you would like the dip to have a bit of a bite.)

Serve with fresh cut-up veggies, toasted baguette slices, or chips of your choosing!  


The beautifully glazed pottery in the above photo is by Barbara Eigen, whose studio is in Jersey City, NJ.  If you are not familiar with her work, her pieces are organic in shape, and she has a vast array of wonderful glaze colors.  Beautiful work!  Check out a few of her vases in my shop here.

I hope you'll get a chance to try this dip, and let me know what you think.  It's a crowd pleaser!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this looks so good! I am a sucker for a great dip! Thanks for sharing.
    Marcie @ www.IGottaTryThat.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure thing, Marcie...thanks for dropping by! Karen

    ReplyDelete

So glad you dropped by ... please leave a comment and share your thoughts with me ...