15 August 2012

The Creative Process


I think of myself as a creative person and a wannabe artist.  Definitely a dabbler.  And a planner/schemer, in the nicest sense of the word.  Not to say I don't like spontaneity but, I think, more often I like to be ready for a situation. Yep, I'm one of those who reads through a recipe before trying it.  Maybe it's my Home Ec teacher training,  Maybe it's just the way I am. How about you?



For some time, I've been thinking about creating a series of angels.  Why, I don't know.  Can't remember when or why I started thinking about creating an angel. 

I got serious with this thought process the other day when I purchased something in a local thrift shop.  It was a metal planter type of thing, not really at all my style, but it had these leaves on it, and I didn't see leaves, per se.  I saw wings.  And, because it was Senior Day, it was 20% off.  The concept was born.
hmmm.  what do you see? 
So I started thinking obsessing about how I wanted this creation to play out.  I wanted "her" (assumption!) to have a face, a nice face, a warm, engaging face. 

It dawned on me in this process that when I create something I almost always put something red in it/on it.  Red is my go-to, happy color.   It "calls me" in many facets of my life.   Makes me feel alive, good.

So, "she" had to have red ...  somewhere. 

Little by little, one segment at a time, "she" began to emerge, but only in my mind.  (Thinking this through, in hindsight, this is my creative process ... or perhaps, a universal one???)

(Stopped at this point to do a little research, just to satisfy my curiosity.  I googled "visual arts creative process"........  From a site called Hello Beautiful, "The four steps that “create” creativity are: preparation, incubation, illumination, and implementation.")

Having missed the preparation part to some degree, I backtracked a little and made a pile of potential/possible elements to create this angel from.  ( Did I mention I have a studio full of fun stuff to play with???)  
Metal was my material, or medium, of choice.  I took a workshop last year at a mixed media art retreat called "Art is You" and was hooked on using found materials, and nuts and bolts and tools, to create objects, in that case, birds.   (no surprise, huh?)

Once the angel was conceptualized, the rest fell into place.  The actual construction required a bit of strategizing, but...
the angel was born!



I felt the need to give her a title or theme to "authenticate" her.  I decided on an "Angels In Our Lives" series and to call this first one (see the No. 1 on the tile?) "Keep Your Cool"...hence, the temperature gauge - perhaps a reminder to stay calm no matter what life throws at us.

I think we can all use an angel in our lives, at some point  - don't you agree?

For those of you visiting for the first time, follow along with my blog ... and comment, to join the conversation.  (Angels like the company, I think.  :) )

For that reason!  Linking her to:  Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm 
                                                        Naturally Nifty Party at Natural Nesters

3 comments:

  1. Cool! very cool :)

    Melike from A Cup of Sparkle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Melike - glad you liked my latest creation. Thanks for visiting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love her! I look forward to seeing more angels.

    Cate

    ReplyDelete

So glad you dropped by ... please leave a comment and share your thoughts with me ...